Sterling Ideas Limited, trading as Rate Your Lecturer (Rateyourlecturer) is an online service that provides genuine user feedback on university lecturers, courses, departments and the cities in which the universities are based. More details about Rateyourlecturer can be found below under "How you can contact us."
We understand that providing information online involves a great deal of trust on your part. We take this trust very seriously, and make it a high priority to ensure the security and confidentiality of the personal information you provide to us. Before submitting your personal information to our Web site, please read this Policy carefully to learn about our privacy practices.
• What information we collect from you
• How we use your information
• With whom we share your information
• How you can access your information
• How we protect your information
• How you can contact us
What information we collect from you
We receive and store any information you enter on our website or give us in any other way. This includes information that can identify you ("personal information"), including your first and last name, e-mail addresses, user name and password. You can choose not to provide information to us, but in general some information about you is required in order for you to enjoy the benefits of being a registered member such as posting ratings and comments.
Automatic Collection of Information
We may collect some information about your computer when you visit Rateyourlecturer. For example, we will collect session data, including your IP address, Web browser software, and referring Web site. We also may collect information about your online activity, such as content viewed and pages visited. One of our goals in collecting this automatic information is to help us understand the interests of our users and customise your user experience.
• To help us recognise your browser as a previous visitor and save and remember any preferences that may have been set while your browser was visiting our site.
• To help us customise the content, website experience, and advertisements provided to you on our website.
• To help measure and research the effectiveness of website features and offerings, advertisements, and e-mail communications (by determining which e-mails you open and act upon, or statistical information).
• Most browsers have an option for turning off the cookie feature, which will prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, as well as (depending on the sophistication of your browser software) allowing you to decide on acceptance of each new cookie in a variety of ways.
How we use your information
Rateyourlecturer uses the information we collect about you for the following general purposes: for registration and to manage your account, including to facilitate your access to and use of our site; to communicate with you in general, including to provide information about Rateyourlecturer; to enable us to publish your ratings, comments, and other content to the Rateyourlecturer community; to respond to your questions and comments; to measure interest in and improve our products, services, and website; to notify you about special offers and products or services available from us or our partners that may be of interest to you; and to otherwise customize your experience with Rateyourlecturer.
With whom we share your information
Rateyourlecturer may share your information with the following entities:
• Business partners with whom we may offer products or services in conjunction. You can tell when a third party is involved in a product or service you have requested because their name will appear either with ours or separately.
• Affiliated Web sites. If you were referred to Rateyourlecturer from another Web site, we may share your registration information, such as your name, email address, mailing address and telephone number about you with that referring Web site. We have not placed limitations on the referring Web sites' use of personal information and we encourage you to review the privacy policies of any Web site that referred you to Rateyourlecturer.
• Companies within our corporate family. We may share your personal information within Sterling Ideas Ltd. This sharing enables us to provide you with information about other services which may interest you.
We also may share your information:
• In response to court orders; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases we reserve the right to raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
• When we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal or suspected illegal activities and in connection with our Terms and Conditions and other agreements.
Other than as set out above, you will be notified when personal information about you will be shared with third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to have us share such information.
How you can access your information
We endeavour to ensure that your information is relevant to its intended use, accurate, and complete. You can access and update your contact information by visiting Rateyourlecturer. You can close your Rateyourlecturer account by contacting us at the email address listed below. We will send you an email to confirm your request. Please also note that we may retain certain information associated with your account in our archives, including for analytical purposes as well as for recordkeeping integrity.
If you do not hold an account with us, or wish to contact us in relation to any personal information that is not displayed in your account, you may ask us to access, delete and modify the information that we hold about you by emailing us at the email address listed below.
How we protect your information
Your RATEYOURLECTURER account Personal Information is protected by a password for your privacy and security. You need to prevent unauthorized access to your account and Personal Information by selecting and protecting your password appropriately, and limiting access to your computer and browser by signing off after you have finished accessing your account.
RATEYOURLECTURER endeavors to safeguard user information to ensure that user account information is kept private. However, RATEYOURLECTURER cannot guarantee the security of user account information. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors, may compromise the security of user information at any time.
We however want you to feel confident about using Rateyourlecturer and we are committed to protecting the information we collect. While no website can guarantee security, we have implemented appropriate administrative, technical, and physical security procedures to help protect the personal information you provide to us. For example, only authorised employees are permitted to access personal information, and they only may do so for permitted business functions.
How you can contact us